Help with 'walker'

Hello. I came up with this formula to calculate the number of all possible paths.
answer = (N-1)*(pow(N-2, K-2));
The examples are correct (also the ones I invented), but all the others, except three, are wrong.
I tried to solve it on paper. For example:
Input: 4 5
2 --> 3 --> 2 --> 3
2 --> 3 --> 2 --> 4
2 --> 3 --> 4 --> 2
2 --> 3 --> 4 --> 3
2 --> 4 --> 2 --> 3
2 --> 4 --> 2 --> 4
2 --> 4 --> 3 --> 2
2 --> 4 --> 3 --> 4
*3 (N-1)
Output = 24
I might have missed something in the problem description.
If you know what might be the problem here, please let me know.
Thanks.

You also have to consider that he can return to the first intersection during his walk (unless it is the penultimate intersection)
The total number of paths for N = 4 and K = 5 is 60

1 Mi Piace

I can’t figure out the formula. Could you help me a bit more?

Vorrei sapere come si ottiene 100/100 in questo programma

Ho individuato che la formula per calcolare il risultato contiene una specie di serie geometrica:
Cattura

Però questa soluzione prende solo 30/100, penso perchè nei casi con valori in input molto alti, nella formula per il valore della somma parziale della serie geometrica il numeratore andrebbe in overflow e la divisione non è corretta.

Cattura2
Questa soluzione, che calcola la somma parziale della serie con un ciclo, è corretta ma troppo lenta, fa 80/100.

Quale sarebbe la soluzione 100/100?

In realtà non è vero che non puoi fare le divisioni in Z_p (gli interi modulo p). Per un intero a, b è un suo inverso modulo p sse a*b=1 mod p. Per il teorema di Fermat, a^{p-1}=1 mod p, dunque a^{p-2} è inverso di a, quindi se vuoi fare una divisione per a, basta moltiplicare per a^{p-2}.

I don’t know if there are other solutions, but you can calculate the total number of paths (N-1)^(K-1), then subtract all the paths that end in 1 (which happens to be all the paths at K-2 that do not end in 1), to calculate that you have to think about all the paths leading to K-3 and so on until K = 1

Grazie funziona, ho due domande: sai se ci sono altre soluzioni a questo problema, e cosa posso vedere per capire quello che mi hai consigliato, perchè è una cosa a me totalmente ignota.

But how do I get all the paths at K-2 that don’t end in 1?

Allora, per altre soluzioni a questo problema, le prime cose che mi vengono in mente sono divide and conquer e matrix exponentiation, mentre per sapere di più su perchè a^{p-2} è inverso di a, credo sia spiegato decentemente qui e girando un po’ fra le pagine.

1 Mi Piace

The answer is the same as with K-1: you have to subtract all the paths that end with 1 in K-3

So is it something like this?

for(int i = 2; i <= K; i++){
        sub += pow(N-1, K-i);
    }
    answer = pow(N-1, K-1)-sub;

I don’t quite understand.

The idea is something like (N-1)^(K-1) - (N-1)^(K-2) + (N-1)^(K-3) - (N-1)^(K-4) + … until K = 1.
With 3 4 it becomes 2^3 - 2^2 + 2 = 6 with paths:
1 --> 2 --> 1 --> 2 V
1 --> 2 --> 1 --> 3 V
1 --> 2 --> 3 --> 1 X
1 --> 2 --> 3 --> 2 V
1 --> 3 --> 1 --> 2 V
1 --> 3 --> 1 --> 3 V
1 --> 3 --> 2 --> 1 X
1 --> 3 --> 2 --> 3 V

Thanks a lot. I think I understand it now. The examples I tried are all correct, but the subtasks 3 - 5 are wrong (Subtask 5 -> Execution timed out).

for(int i = 1; i < K; i++){
    	if(i%2 == 0){
    		answer -= fmod(pow(N-1, K-i), MOD);
    	}else{
    		answer += fmod(pow(N-1, K-i), MOD);
    	}
}
printf("%lld\n", answer%MOD); // print the result
    return 0;

You have to consider that calling the power function for each value up to K is pretty inefficient, I would suggest to start from the bottom and try to avoid using the power function